The Importance of Listening to the Patient to Develop Custom Treatment Plans
The key to accurate assessment of dermatology patients is taking the time to listen. Patients present with various concerns both of a medical and cosmetic nature; all of which are unique to the patient. Treatments therefore have to be very specific to the patient’s needs and tailored accordingly. Many variables are considered when creating a plan for the patient. The physician will propose options and discuss the risks and benefits of each. Our experience indicates that patients welcome the professional opinion of the therapeutics they are about to engage in, with the added information “they feel empowered” and ultimately more comfortable with their choice of treatment.
Dermatology offers many options for the treatment of chronic skin diseases; with ongoing research our options for treatments are constantly expanding. The goal is always to be on the lookout for the latest exciting therapy for both medical and aesthetic skin treatments. Finding a treatment that has the most efficacies with the least side effects is our primary goal in dermatology. While finding a treatment with the greatest longevity with the least side effects is extremely important for our cosmetic patients.
Here is what in the pipelines:
- Novel treatments for psoriasis based on the deeper knowledge of the inflammatory mediators of this skin disease. Treatments range from good to greatly efficacious.
- New agents for melanoma that have shown promise in increasing longevity.
- Different outlook on skin care based on a revised skin type classification (16 type), previously defined as 6 types.
- Search for optimal treatment for melasma (facial pigmentation) and new directions for creams and procedures.
- Better understanding of antioxidants/ cosmeceuticals in an attempt to enhance skin care.
- Alternative forms of Botulinum toxin and dermal fillers with increased duration.
- Fat reduction based on cold, injections or ultrasound.
- Developments in the technology of hair restoration and transplantation.
- Tightening procedures based on new forms of lasers , ultrasound and radiofrequency.
If you have any questions or require more information please do not hesitate to contact our office, we would be delighted to help you with your skin health needs. Johns Creek Dermatology & Family Medicine 770-771-6591.